Office 365 is a cloud service subscription-based offering that includes access to both the installed and web-based versions of Microsoft Office applications as well as cloud storage on OneDrive.
Office 365 Provides Access to the Following Services:
- Office 365 Platform
- Exchange Online
- SharePoint Online
- OneDrive for Business
- Skype for Business Online
- Office Online
- Office applications
- Project Online
- Power BI
- Yammer Enterprise
- Azure Information Protection
Cloud services means services made available to users on demand via the Internet from a cloud computing provider’s servers as opposed to being provided from a company’s own on-premises servers. Cloud services are designed to provide easy, scalable access to applications, resources and services, and are fully managed by a cloud services provider. A cloud service can dynamically scale to meet the needs of its users, and because the service provider supplies the hardware and software necessary for the service, there’s no need for a company to provision or deploy its own resources or allocate IT staff to manage the service.
So where does Office 365 fit into the cloud? Office 365 is Microsoft’s cloud-based package of apps and services that enables people to work flexibly from anywhere with technology that is easy to use. With Office 365, they get anywhere access to familiar Office tools, plus enterprise-grade email, conferencing, collaboration, and enterprise social capabilities.
And since all of these business-class services are hosted in Microsoft data centers, customers don’t need to worry about maintaining servers and applying updates; instead, businesses can focus on their core competency and leave the maintenance to Infratech.
Installed Versus Web-Based
Web based software is accessed through a connection to the cloud and can only be accessed using the computer it is installed on. All the plans are available both online and offline.
Microsoft Office Applications
Microsoft Office applications are a system of Microsoft productivity software that supports common business tasks, including word processing, email, presentations, and data management and analysis. This includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Cloud Storage is a model of networked storage where data is stored in pools of storage that are virtualized from large data centers according to the requirements of the customer. Microsoft OneDrive is an online service that lets users access and share documents, photos, and other files from anywhere.
Features and Benefits
Email, Calendar, and Contacts
Office 365 allows customers to access their email, calendar, contacts, and tasks from anywhere, at any time and from any device.
- Take advantage of large, easy-to-use mailboxes
- Automatically update your email, calendar, and contacts across devices
- See colleagues’ availability from your Outlook calendar
- Use antivirus and anti-spam filtering on Outlook
- Organize your inbox with Conversation View
- Set out-of-office replies
- Recover deleted items
- Access other email accounts through Office 365
Office 365 allows members of internal team sites to share documents, contacts, calendars, and tasks in a centralized location that can be accessed from both computers and mobile devices.
- Document management
- Plenty of space for your documents and sites
- External and more secure sharing
- Microsoft Office integration
- Offline access with SharePoint workspaces
- Familiar look and feel
- Ability to publish a desktop access file as a web-based database
- Highly secure data
Microsoft Office and Office Web Apps
Web Apps are online equivalents of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. Customers can use the same editing and formatting features they already know from Office. Files can be saved directly to team sites on Office 365. Even though the document is stored online, to the customer it will seem no different than if they stored it on their own computer. If they are using a computer that doesn’t have Office, they can still open Office web apps in their browser.
- Always have the tools you need handy
- Ensure familiar views, consistent user experience
- Edit content with confidence using familiar tools
- Work/collaborate more easily with others
Instant Messaging and Online Meetings
Office 365 with Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams allows customers to send instant messages (IM), talk, present, and share desktops across their organization.
- Find and connect with colleagues and customers
- Easily conduct professional online presentations or spontaneous online meetings
- View presence status and click-to-communicate
- Collaborate with SharePoint sites
- Communicate with other Office 365, Windows Live and MSN Messenger users
- Presence with Office Outlook and other office applications
- Presence with SharePoint Online
- Presence with Exchange Online
- Allows to handle up to 250 users in one sessions
|Plans||Office 365 Business||Office 365 Enterprise|
|Service||Office 365 Business||Office 365 Business Essentials||Office 365 Business Premium||Office 365 Enterprise E1||Office 365 Enterprise E3||Office 365 Enterprise E54|
|Office 365 Platform||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|OneDrive for Business||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Skype for Business Online||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Azure Information Protection||No||No||No||No||Yes||Yes|
- Project Online is not included, but can be purchased as a separate add-on service or added for free to the Office 365 Education plan.
- Azure Information Protection is not included, but can be purchased as a separate add-on and will enable the supported Information Rights Management (IRM) features. Some Azure Information Protection features require a subscription to Office 365 ProPlus, which is not included with Office 365 Business Essentials, Office 365 Business Premium, Office 365 Enterprise E1, Office 365 Education, or Office 365 Enterprise F1.
- To learn more about which Azure Information Protection features are included with Office 365 plans, see Azure Information Protection.
- Office 365 Enterprise E5 contains Phone System, Audio Conferencing, and Calling Plan capabilities. To implement a Calling Plan requires an additional plan purchase (either Domestic or International).
- Includes 2 GB storage. Does not include desktop sync functionality.
- Includes Exchange Online Plan 1.
- Includes Exchange Online Plan 2.
- Includes Exchange Online Plan 1 plus supplemental features.
- Includes Exchange Online Kiosk.
- Includes Skype for Business Online Plan 2 with basic client limitations.
- Includes Skype for Business Online Plan 2 without any client limitations.
- Includes Skype for Business Online Plan 1 plus supplemental features.
- Includes Skype for Business Online Plan 2 with voice support and without any client limitations.
- Includes Skype for Business Online Plan 1.